Update Your Home on a BudgetJune 2011
A beautiful home needn’t cost a fortune. A bit of imagination goes a long way when it comes to creating a new look.
Here are our top tips on updating your home on a budget.
- Hem plain-coloured curtains with lengths of more expensive fabric for a luxurious look on a budget. In addition, replace curtain pole to co-ordinate.
- Invest in a new oversized headboard. If budget is tight, use some upholstery fabric and staple it to the existing headboard.
- Replace your existing wardrobe doors with full-length glass or mirror doors; this will instantly make the room brighter and spacious. Alternatively, paint them in a vibrant colour for a funky look.
- Refresh old tiles by raking out the old grout, and apply a fresh layer. Or take off the old tiles, and install some new ones. Replace that tatty sealant!
- Repositioning a large mirror can make a living room look bigger and brighter. Put mirror opposite a window to bounce light into a dark area, or hang over a fireplace to make the room seem more spacious.
- Rearrange the furniture - it’s amazing by simply moving the furniture layout, the whole room gives you a different appearance. Try it, judge for yourself.
- Hunt for a fabric you love and create a piece of your very own wall art to act as a focal point (you only need a small amount to make a big difference).
- Staple it on a canvas, lean it in an alcove or mount it on the wall. Alternatively, try striking wallpaper pasted on canvas. Both options are cheap and effective.